Soho’s Golden Arm

Formerly Rose Street, Manette Street got its current name from Charles Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities (published 1859) specifically, the character Dr Manette who lived in a quiet and quaint area near Soho Square;

“In a building at the back attainable by a courtyard where a plane tree rustled its green leaves, church organs claim to be made, and likewise gold to be beaten by some mysterious giant who had a golden arm starting out of the wall… as if he had beaten himself precious and menaced a similar conversion on all visitors.” 

The current limb is a contemporary replacement.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.