The Hospital for women, Soho Square
Originally established 13 April 1843 as The Hospital for the Diseases of Women in Red Lion Square, Dr. Protheroe Smith fulfilled his aim:
‘It was the first Institution established in this or any other country exclusively for the treatment of those maladies which neither rank, wealth, nor character can avert from the female sex.’
It was renamed The Hospital for Women in 1845 and, after outgrowing its Holborn space, moved to Soho Square in 1852.
Due to outbreak of World War II, it closed in 1939 and was briefly reopened in 1940 to deal with first aid. There were plans to merge it with the Samaritan Free Hospital in 1946 but with the development of the NHS it became part of the Middlesex Hospital Group. It’s now Soho Square General Practise and still part of the NHS.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.