The Victoria Park Guard Dogs
Installed in 1912, the original sculptures stood either side of the gateway into Victoria Park until 2009. Donated by Lady Aignarth, they are copies of a 2nd Century Roman statue of a dog which are still at the British Museum. The dog belonged to Alcibiades, a 5th Century Athenian statesman and friend of Socrates.
In 2011 the severely damaged and heavily vandalised sculptures were replaced by replicas, part of a larger £12m refurbishment of Victoria Park in the run-up to the 2012 Olympics.
Here’s one standing proudly at his post again: